Часто задаваемые вопросы
Master-Slave is now Main-Follow - the function is the same!
Master-Slave is now Main-Follow - the function is the same! If the device connected in the Main-socket is switched on, all units in the Follow-sockets are automatically activated.
When no more current flows through the Main-socket, the Follow-sockets are automatically switched off.
Why does the Main-Follow function not work properly with laptops?
The Main-Follow function is based on a measurement of the current consumption at the main socket.
If the measurement is above the set threshold, the follow sockets are automatically switched on.
If the measurement is below the set threshold, the follow sockets are automatically switched off.
With battery-operated devices such as laptops, however, the current consumption does not necessarily correspond to the operating state on or off.
The current consumption can also be above the threshold value (charge battery) when the laptop is switched off or below the threshold value when the laptop is switched on. or below the threshold value when the laptop is switched on (battery full and laptop operating at low power).
The use of battery-operated devices as masters is therefore generally unsuitable.
Which are the advantages of the digital Main-Follow function?
With these models the switching threshold can be set up automatically via the push of a button. If you don’t require the Main-Follow function at the moment, you can activate the permanent mode for the follow sockets if desired. The extension lead will then ignore the Main-Follow function. The stored switching threshold, or rather the permanent mode, will also remain if the Main-Follow extension lead is temporarily turned off by the main switch.
Why does my automatic extension lead no longer switch off the Follow sockets?
Some users find that the Follow sockets are no longer switched off even though the main unit is switched off. This can be caused by very high inrush currents of the connected Follow units, which greatly exceed the max. load capacity of the relay and thereby weld the switching contacts.
In many cases, the switching contacts can be detached from each other again by vibrations (knocking) and thus temporarily brought back into function. However, without a change in the configuration of the Follow units, the problem usually reappears quickly.
Our automatic extension leads, as a whole and the relays used in them, are designed for a continuous load with currents of 16A. End devices with a protective contact plug are not allowed to draw more current. However, some terminal devices exceed this limit many times over at the moment they are switched on. The current consumption can rise to 50A or more for a fraction of a second. These high currents can cause welding of the switching contacts in the relay - the relay then no longer switches off.
Experience has shown that this problem occurs more frequently in terminals with switching power supplies. These can be installed almost everywhere nowadays, e.g. PC, monitor, printer, external hard drives, active loudspeakers, etc. Which products actually cause such problems also depends on whether the manufacturers of the end devices have taken appropriate measures against excessive inrush currents or not. Unfortunately, this cannot be read from any data sheet or type plate. We have optimised our automatic extension leads in this respect by using special relays for pulse loads of up to 80A. As a result, the problem occurs much less frequently.
What can I use an automatic extension lead with Main-Follow function for?
With the on/off switch of a single device plugged into the main socket, all other devices in the follow sockets can be switched on and off automatically. You can use a computer as the main device, for example, which includes monitors, printers, modems, etc. as follow devices in the automatic control. Of course, combinations of TV, radio, receiver, etc. can also be controlled.
How do I set the switching threshold on an automatic extension lead with setting controller?
1. Plug your main unit into the red main socket and switch it on.
2. Turn the switching threshold control slowly and carefully until you find a position where the follow sockets are switched on and off. Make a note of this control position 1 (the follow sockets always remain on for consumers with high current consumption).
3. Now switch off your main unit again, but leave it plugged in.
4. Turn the switching threshold control slowly and carefully until you find a position at which the follow sockets are switched on and off. Make a note of this control position 2 (for consumers without or with low standby current consumption, the follow sockets always remain off).
5. Now place the setting control centrally between control position 1 and control position 2. (In cases where you could not determine control positions 1 or 2, please place the setting control centrally between the control stops).
How do I set the switching threshold on an automatic extension with digital Main-Follow function?
These devices have an automatic switching threshold setting that is started by pressing a button.
1. Switch on the automatic extension lead at the main switch.
2. Plug the main unit into the red main socket.
3. Put the main unit in standby mode or switched off mode, if this is not already the case.
4. Press and hold the "Learn" button on the automatic extension lead for approx. 3 seconds until the "Follow on" lamp starts to flash.
5. The "Follow on" lamp now flashes for a short time. During this time, the standby power consumption of the main unit is automatically determined and the switching threshold is saved.
6. When the "Follow on" lamp stops flashing, the setting process is finished. The automatic switching function can now be used.
Permanent mode with an automatic extension lead with digital Main-Follow function
Activation of the permanent mode:
- Proceed in the same way as for the automatic switching threshold setting.
- While the "Follow on" lamp is flashing (point 5), press the "Learn" button again for approx. 3 sec. The automatic switching threshold setting is terminated and the permanent mode for the follow sockets is activated.
Deactivating the permanent mode:
- Simply perform an automatic switching threshold setting again.